Santa Sacks - round 3

Don't ask me how I did it, but I made another set of Santa Sacks. And yet, I have still not made one for me!!!
I thought that seeing as Mum and Dad are hosting Christmas and Santa will be visiting their house anyway, they should have somewhere to store them. In previous years, Santa has just left their presents on their armchairs. Well not this year!!

For my Dad I wanted a little bit of Santa and some whimsy. My dad's a bit of a joker and generally very jolly, so I wanted something with a bit of fun. I had some panels left over from my attempt at designing a Christmas quilt so I grabbed one of those and hit the machine.

I basically just QAYG and really, it's more like foundation piecing, because I didn't do any extra top stitching. I cut strips as the mood struck, so there is no real design, just colour and theme. It's a little bit darker than I intended, but their apartment is black, white and red, so I think it'll suit. And it is for a grown up, after all.

For my Mum, I wanted something a bit more structured. A bit more planned. So I made this star block and then laid out the fabric on the wadding and worked out how to sew it together as easily as possible. I really like this finish.


What I don't like about my Mums bag is the back. For all the others I used a home dec weight Christmas text print. Nice and sturdy, neutral colour - worked for all the others! But I didn't have enough left for Mums. I pieced the leftover red and black together to get the size I needed, and just used that, but I don't like it. It feels a bit court jester-y. I'm probably over thinking it, but it's bugging me. I might appliqué some Christmas trees on it, and that may make me like it better.


But there we go!! Two more Santa Sack completed today! I have two days to get one done. For me or I'll be the only person in the family (including the dogs) not to have one.

E xx

1) My camera is still being stupid, so I apologise for the quality of the photos.
2) seeing as I made these over the weekend, I'm linking them in to Kelly too!

Comments

  1. HAHAhahahaha I love you Erin. I love that the DOGS have santa sacks and you don't! That's just what us quilters do, isn't it? We make stuff for everyone but ourselves. :) Good luck finishing your santa sack! I can't wait to see photos of them in use! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really grumpy when on Christmas Eve I was still trying to sort out my Santa Sack. It's not quite finished yet, but I did have something festive for my pressies, so it worked out ok. I'll post an update ASAP, so you can see them all in action.

      E xx

      Delete
  2. Just read 3 fab posts from you that have me giggling what with dogs, fabric, santa sacks, dodgy cameras, sewing kits, etc, etc. As always you delight me, have a very happy Christmas Erin x :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D I do what I can!! lol.
      I hope your Christmas was wonderful, Chrissie, and that the New Year is everything you want it to be.
      E xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx