Handstitched Hexies

In June last year, Ashley (my hubby) and I went on a whirlwind adventure.  We packed our bags and got on a 36 hour flight (yes there was a break in the middle, but it sure didn't feel like it) and ended up on *literally* the other side of the world.

Grumpy & I checking out the Tower Bridge!! OMG We were in London, yo!
I got to realise a childhood dream and got to visit London. We actually spent about 4 weeks in the UK, and saw soooo much (too much to tell you about here... maybe another time! In fact definitely another time. Consider the post to be in the works as we speak!) because for 2 of those weeks we road tripped. And what's a girl to do on a road trip, but hand sew

I actually did a lot of my prep work at home. I cut all my fabric and glue basted a squillion hexagons.


And then as we tripped around Wales and Scotland and drove through the Lakes District (yes, I am totally subtly bragging right now - it was awesome and the most epic adventure of my life, so I'm going to milk it while I can) I would sew little strips of hexies together until I had rows and rows and then at night I would sit in whatever random hotel or b&b we'd found ourselves in and stitch the rows together.

(just for the record - really hard to take photos while driving and sewing - or passenger-ing and sewing) 

The only problem is, it's been over a year now, and I still feel like I have another 100,000 of these things to sew.  I originally planned to make it single bed size, but now I'm thinking a small lap quilt could be nice... Is that cheating? Am I piking on something that I really should push through with? And of course I have all those pre-cut and basted hexagons and if i don't use them in this, what on earth am I gong to do with them??

It's just, that it's been a year, and while I know I don't work on it as much as I could, I do feel like I drag this all over the place with me.  It's been to weddings, and conferences, and weekends away. It's sat on the couch with me when I've been sick, and sat on the couch with me when I've been faking sick, to get out of doing chores ;-)...


And it's not that I don't love it, I do. So much pink-y goodness. But I'm kind of tired with the same project lasting forever and a day.  I have a short attention span.  So while I really enjoy EPP and having a hand project,  I also like things that get finished in a snap.


Meanwhile, I took it on retreat with me a couple of weeks ago, and, here it is.. In all it's teeny tiny glory...


It looks quite... small.  I swear it's bigger than that, isn't it??

Yeah... Definitely more to do on this one...

E xx

Comments

  1. Maybe you could make it, like.. a band that travels the width of a bed, but then have a bunch of solid print to make up the chunk above and below it. Call it a modern hexie interpretation and save yourself making an actual bed sized quilt :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else suggested adding a border. But would you applique the hexies on? Or piece in solid hexies around the edge and then trim and sash?
      E xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx