The Grinch is ready for Christmas - almost




You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

You really are a heel.
You're as cuddly as a cactus,
You're as charming as an eel,Mr. Grinch.
You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel.

Up until a couple of years ago, I had never read the Grinch. Don't ask me why, because I am a big Dr Suess fan in general, but for some reason, I had never gotten to the Grinch.

But a couple of years ago, a line of Dr Suess fabric came out, and I couldn't resist those fabulous illustrations, not to mention all the rhyming goodness.  I especially loved the big panel of the Grinch in his Santa suit with the story behind him.   But those big panels are really hard to use.  I didn't want to cut him up, but he was an odd shape, and, also, a really odd colour.


I also bought yardage of the cute little vignettes from the book, that are also really strangely sized. I'm not sure how they're designed to be used, but it was tricky, because some had printed frames and others didn't, and I took to them with my rotary cutter and then didn't know quite what to do with them...


I pulled this project out several times over the last couple of years and then put it away again because I just didn't know what to do.


Finally, I just dove in and started adding what I had. I refused to let this sit there and take up space for no real purpose.




Initially I stuck with the specific Grinch fabrics, and some semi-coordinating solid (real hard colours to match in these prints). I added some white with red spots, and red with white spots that I had stashed for another quilt (that I still haven't started yet). And then added some black memoir, from the Madrona Road line (I loved this fabric so much I bought metres and metres of it.  I should probably use it more...)


I gave some prints frames, and sometimes a border on 2 sides and the other side blank.  I added in strips, and pieces, and whatever the mood took me.




It's random. But I like it.

And it's *big*. It covers me from top to toe and would easily fit 2 or 3 people under it. I have visions of it going on the couch for Christmas movie marathons.


My quandary now is this: Wadding or no wadding?


Wadding makes for a good snuggly quilt, and it is for on the couch where snuggling is mandatory. BUT, it's for Christmas. And Christmas in Australia is hot. Like, lucky to use a sheet, lying under the fan eating icy poles, hot. So do I want a proper quilt when it's going to be hot? BUT, I can always have the air con on (and most likely will), and I get cold generally, and I still tend to wrap myself up no matter what...

My heart says yes to wadding, but my head so no.

What are your thoughts?

E xx

Comments

  1. Living in the middle of the U.S. where we are usually under a foot of snow at Christmas time, it's hard for me to imagine a HOT Christmas in Australia! I really like how your Grinch quilt turned out...Dr. Seuss would be tickled! I guess if even a sheet would be too much to cover up with, I'd add wadding/batting to make a real quilt. It will be loved! Merry Christmas from the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt. How about just using a flannel as a backing with no wadding. That's the best of both worlds. It should be fairly warm but not as warm/heavy as wadding and a backing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone who was only going to blog once a month you sure have put up a lot of posts! Love your Grinch quilt and I know what you mean about the odd colours. I have a Dr Suess panel that's a weird shade of blue. I have in mind making a summer quilt as well and I'm wondering which way to go as well. I'm sort of thinking of using a flannel sheet as batting and backing as usual. Look forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx