20 before 20

So 2020 is upon us!  It crept closer and closer and suddenly BOOM here we are. And it looks like I did nothing all year, but I did!! I actually worked my butt off this year.

Because you see, I made myself a secret challenge: to finish 20 quilts before 2020.


Wowsers! That's more quilts than I've finished in my entire quilting life. (For the record on 1/1/19 I had finished 21 quilts over my quilting "career")

Of course, in taking on this challenge I had a slight advantage, in that I have been making quilt tops for a long time and then setting them aside (so I didn't have to do the scary *quilting* part). So coming into 2019, I had about 46 WIPs, including 24 tops ready to get quilted and 5 quilts ready for binding.

I enlisted the expert help of Fiona (@quiltingbyfiona) to wrangle my quilts through her long arm, to help me get past that bottle neck.  I did quilt a couple myself, but they were the exceptions, and it is truly because of Fiona that this was in any way possible.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but I can't help but start the things that catch my eye, so I added 12 new things to the WIP list over the year, and so the overall size of the WIP list hasn't reduced too much, but I did finish.....

22 QUILTS

Unheard of!!  Remember that 2018 was a banner year with 8 finishes!!! How I managed 22 is a unfathomable.

In that pile are tops dating back 4 or 5 years that sat in limbo, waiting for me to get past my fear of quilting.  Of course, once they were quilted I still had to bind them all, and I prefer hand binding so that's how I spent a good portion of my time this past year.

Most of the quilts are between single bed and double, although there are outliers that are smaller and larger.  There are a range of colours and styles, from novelty fabrics and stylised blocks (hello giant bunny) through to improv and precision piecing.  Some are intricate, some are simple. There are some that lean traditional and some that are more modern.  It's a hodge podge of quilts that just makes me so very happy.

And the real question: What do you do with 20 quilts?

They're tucked in a cupboard for now but are earmarked for donation to foster children. Hopefully there is a good range of styles that there will be something to suit each child that is offered one.  The purpose of a quilt is to wrap someone up in love and sending these out into the world will hopefully help a child to know that they are loved.


I have big dreams for 2020, but another 20 quilts is not part of that plan :-)

E xx

Comments