Finally - MY Santa sack

So you've seen the boys awesome Santa Sacks. You saw Henry and Lucy's puppy sized Santa sacks.  I even did Santa sacks for my Mum & Dad!!  Surely it was my turn now!!!!!!!

It was Christmas Eve Eve (so 23 December) and I decided to just do it! I was not going another year without my own Santa Sack.

I knew what I wanted. I wanted whimsy.  I wanted sparkle.  I wanted Christmas-in-a-can!!!!

I started with a mini panel from all that Christmas fabric, that I had intended to make a quilt out of.


For my Santa Sack, I did it a little differently to the way I did everyone else's. 
With the boys, the dogs and the parents bags, I had done QAYG with iron on wadding. GENIUS. But by the time I got to mine I'd run out of my pre-prepared wadding. I was feeling inspired, so not waiting until I'd bought more, I just started sewing a standard quilt top.

I worked it like a log cabin, so started in the middle and worked my way to the edges.  I just cut whatever width if fabric I felt would work. I do have some wastage, but as I'm not finished with the Christmas sewing, I'm leaving it out for a while. At the end of the day, I have scrap jars for a reason, so I'm really not worried about having scraps.


Check it out!! My new Santa Sack!


Ashley thinks it's a little big - that my expectations on Santa presents are too high. But it's only a smidgen bigger than the panel I used for my sisters one, so I decided that don't care what he thinks! :-)
And you know what - It turned out to be the perfect size!

Clearly this was just a quilt top, so on Christmas Eve I frantically ran to the store to buy wadding, I threw some straight line quilting on there (few and far between) and quickly turned it into a pillow case.  It is so far from perfect that I am not showing you. I didn't even take a picture of it, I was that unimpressed with myself.

Now that Christmas is over, and Santa has made his delivery, I have ripped off the back and am in the process of ripping out all the quilting. Why is it that I remember only doing minimal quilting but I seem to have a thousand seams to take out? I'm going to try to get it quilted pretty much straight away in the hopes that I can then put it away all finished and ready for next Christmas.

And you know what this means, right? It means that next year the whole family will have perfect individual Santa sacks - including me!

E xx

Comments

  1. YAY!! I'm so glad you finally got to make yourself one! Although less glad that you had to rip out so much work. Hopefully you will like attempt #2 better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in such a rush to get it turned into something useable that I didn't even baste it I just started sewing, it really was a mess. Ripping out the quilting was a pain, but I'll be happier with the finished bag for it. And I am going to be using this for a thousand years, so I want to love it.
      E xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx