Radiant Orchid

I gave you a hint yesterday that I was going to enter the Radiant Orchid challenge.

As a little background, before we get into the true purpose of the post, I want to let you know that I have a true love of purple. I have yet to let this love out in the realms of fabric, because I have not had any place to put the pretty purples. But it is real. It is true. And it needs to be told to the world. So this challenge is basically written for me.  You know, if you forget about the part where I actually have to finish something... But back to the story!

Pantone (who are apparently some kind of important colour people) have this thing where they nominate a colour of the year. And guess what 2014 is!!

It's the year of Radiant Orchid!! 
2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Radiant Orchid

So I am entering the challenge over at Play Crafts and On the Windy Side to make myself a purple something something. Wanna come play too??  I know you do!! I have been reading all your comments saying how tempted you are... Do it... Join us on the dark side...

             There are 3 categories:
            - Minis: Longest side under 30″. Pillows, table runners, place mats, mug rugs, etc. will count as minis.
            - Quilts: any size from baby to bed (shortest side must be at least 30”).
          - Just the Top: any size from baby to bed (shortest side must be at least 30”).
           Entries will be open from March 14 – March 21 2014.
                                                       FYI - All items must be started in 2014 to be eligible.
I can't wait for yummy plums and violets to pop up all over the interwebs.
I snuck into my sewing room over the weekend and pulled all my purple fabric off the shelf. I had no idea what I was going to make. I had no idea what patterns I had or what fabrics I could mix together. I initially pulled a mix of Simply Colour and Simply Style by V & Co and some yummy creams and was preparing to cut. Still without an idea of what I was going to make of course! 

Now this stack is still sitting on my table. Literally. I haven't moved it. Because I had some purple solids that I couldn't resist. I have no idea why, but I just felt happier cutting into this. I wanted a little texture so I grabbed a fat quarter I had laying around and cut it up too. I've even started sewing them together.

Any guesses what I'm making? Those of you who saw it in person are not allowed to guess :-P
I have until March to finish it, so I'm going to try and keep working on this in the hopes of showing you comething that is actually complete! I have visions of hand quilting, but that might disappear, it depends how long I take to get this put together.  I want to try to enter it into the fullsize finished category, so I'm pushing myself a bit.
I think that I may not have quite the right shade of purple either.  My purple is more purple-y and violet, but the purple for the challenge is really heading towards fuchisa... I ahven't decided if this makes me inelligable or if it doesn't matter.  And either way, maybe I want to grab that stack of slightly more "Radiant Orchid"y fabrics that's still sitting on my table and whip up a mini with those!!!   I have two months!! I can work all kinds of magic!*
 
E xx
 
*Note that over the last 18 months, I have not completed a single quilt.

Comments

  1. Purple is my favorite, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a few of us purple people lurking around. You should make something too!! And we can spread the love of purple!! E xx

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison! Fingers crossed I can work my sewjo before he month is out and get it finished!
      E xx

      Delete
  3. Oooh, exciting! You can do it! The awesome purpleness will get you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed, Audrey! I technically have a finished top, so I'm halfway there :-P
      E xx

      Delete
  4. I cannot guess??!!! A scrappy trip along? Wait, no, that's the one that I want to make next haha. Do tell! Your purples are ever so pretty - I am having a hard time finding good purples around here. Last time I went to the store SPECIFICALLY for purple and came home with only one. Happy sewing, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I could so, see these fabrics as a scrappy trip along. I was going to suggest that you make one, but now I want one for myself... I don think I'll have time to, though. Finding good purples is definitely a challenge. They're either muddy or so covered in fairies and butterfly's and random swirly hyper colours that they're not really purple anymore. Very annoying. I did just buy some really nice purples that are Art Gallery prints. Not quite the right colours for the challenge, but definitely the right purple for me and my stash :-)
      E xx

      Delete
  5. Oooh that looks kinda like a dresden plate, maybe? I bet you can totally finish both things. ;D I can't actually answer how much it's going to matter, I'll talk to Adrianne and see what she says. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too good! Let me guess, the sewn together fat ends gave it away? :-D
      I am impressed with myself, because (assuming I don't make any changes) I actually have a finished top. It's only baby sized, and not enough to win me any prizes, but it qualifies as an entry anyway (as long as you ladies accept my random mishmash of purples)
      E xx

      Delete
  6. Yeah purple! I have no idea what you're making, but I look forward to more details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come and play too!! Purple is so underused!
      I promise to post an update, ASAP.
      E xx

      Delete
  7. Oh please can I tell?? No fair. It will definitely look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-P I took your advice Gil, and have machine sewn it down. Technically it's a finished top, but I think the quilting is going to make this one. And yes, I have given up (I think) on hand quilting it.
      E xx

      Delete
  8. Look at all that pretty purple! I can't wait to see what you are making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you a purple person too?? We seem to be coming out of the woodwork!!
      E xx

      Delete
  9. Awesome! I hear ya, I feel like this challenge is speaking directly to me ;) Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I am such a purple addict and am so looking forward to all the urple that's bound to start showing up everywhere :-)
      E xx

      Delete
  10. I'm looking forward to see those projects as well. My fav color is magenta which is pretty close too :-) I see you there, hopefully. If we don't procrastinate too long, he he.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think magenta is probably closer to the "radient orchid" tone than I have. My purples are too blue. You shoudl make somehting, Vera! I know it will be gorgeous.
      E xx

      Delete
  11. Love what you have going on here! Can't wait to see more, the purples are fantastic! Dresden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have wanted to do a Dresden for ages, but was too scared. I love it. The quilting is going to be a push for me, but fingers crossed I can get it to work :-)
      Thanks, Nicole.
      E xx

      Delete
  12. gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous fabrics and colours :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. You're always so complimentary. i actually though of you as I was making this and wanting to channel your colour Dresden, but I lacked the confidence to go for it. Maybe next time :-)
      E xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx