Inspiration

The lovely Jess, over at Quilty Habit, is hosting a Sewing with Certainty series.  She wrote an interesting post today about inspiration and creating our own designs and I want to get on that band wagon.
http://quiltyhabit.blogspot.com/p/sewing-with-certainty-series.html

So, how do I figure out what I'm making? Where does my inspiration come from??


Well, first thing is probably the fabric itself.  I sometimes have no idea what I'm buying it for, and sometimes know exactly what it should look like when I'm done, but my quilt choices are often dictated by my fabric.
 

Can't you just see these as big plusses??? It's going to be so yummy!


I take a lot of photographs. I take photos of trees, of patterns, of interesting textures.  I am still a little scared to try and translate most of these into fabric, but it's sitting in my brain, just waiting for my skills to catch up.



The place that I probably get the most ideas is Pintrest. I LOVE Pintrest.  I can spend hours on there just scrolling through the pretty.  It does feed nicely into my other random obessions - I have Sherlock and Harry Potter boards.  Don't judge!! It's still mostly sewing!

My Carpenters Wheel quilt is purely a product of Pinterst inspiration.


And I have just invested in some graph paper. Yes, that $3 was an investment.  As were the super cheap coloured pencils.



And I can't forget the blogs I follow! So much of what everyone is making is so inspirationinal.  I would never have made my Swoon without the blogosphere. And I am determined to make this this year: 

http://www.play-crafts.com/blog/urban-lattice-progress/
Sherlock Quilt - Designed by Anne at Play-Crafts
Anne, over at Play-Crafts made it...  This will be made.  And it will be my new TV blanket.  Ashley has said no, but who does he think he's kidding.  This is absolutely going in my house.  (Assuming Anne is ok with me stealing her picture and her idea).

So that's where I get my inspiration from, and how I pretend to be a quilt deisnger!!

What about you?? How do you come up with all your genius plans???

E xx

Comments

  1. Ooh! Cool pixelated quilt! I'll be excited to follow yours (and Anne's) progress on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen other people make them but didn't even know how to start. Then Anne posted this photo. I am so glad she's agreed to share, because I can't wait to have my own Benedict Cumberbatch. <3

      Delete
  2. I want a Sherlock quilt! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make one too!!! We can share the Sherlock love. xx

      Delete
  3. I love that so many people have invested in graph paper for quilting, haha. I'm still using up my left overs from college. My MIL just gave me a brand new box of some fancy pencils, it will be nice to have different shades of the standard colors! Love what you did with the carpenter's wheel quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am staring at my little cheapo packet of pencils in despair. Every time I walk down the kids aisle the coloured pencils stare at me. I think I'm going to succumb and buy the nice set. It'd be so nice to have more than just red blue yellow...
      I tried to find my leftover graph paper but I have no idea what I did with it. It really is the perfect quilting tool. It gives perfect ratio every time. :-)

      Delete
  4. I really want to make a pixelated quilt too one day. I really love happy zombie's Ron Swanson quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! It's so epic! It made me want a pixel quilt but I didn't even know where to start. Thank The Lord for Anne and her plans :-)

      Delete
  5. Hahaha I have NO problem with you making that quilt! Eli said no to it on the bed, but he didn't say no to it getting made!! So nyah! :D
    I should get a color list together for that thing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And I will sit here quietly and whisper "you know you want one too..."
      Not for the bed. For the couch. Because then I can watch Shellck, while wearing Sherlock :-D

      Delete
  6. Ahahaha this made me laugh - literally *just* last night I said to my husband, "I can't stand that actor - he's so creepy!" when an add for Sherlock Holmes popped up. I can't begin to imagine having him in my house! lol But I love the pixelated part and kudos to you for attempting it with all the shading. Can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few people tell they're not fans, and I get it, he's kind of odd. But he grows on you. And the more you see of him the more astoundingly gorgeous he becomes.
      I haven't bought any fabric yet, but all the shadows could become a nightmare. I'm just going to tell myself it'll be easy and not think anpbout it until I'm already in too deep to walk away form the hard :-P
      E xx

      Delete
  7. I will FALL OVER if you make the Sherlock quilt!! Amazing! Love your colored pencils, too :) I swear I commented on this post but apparently I didn't! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, you should make one too!! I'm trying to convince Anne to do it as a quilt-a-long. And then there would be sherlock's popping up all over the world.
      E xx

      Delete
  8. There is no pretending, Erin. It's official. You are a quilt designer. Evidence #1 - The impression of yummy fabric pluses that are now lodged in my brain. Evidence #2 - Your inspiring Carpenters Wheel quilt. Evidence #3 - The $3 investment that is being used as a design tool. Now you just need to believe it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Lorna. Unfortunately I didn't come up with any of the designs, just modified them to me. I like that you have pluses lodged I your brain! It's one of the first designs I saw on the internet, and I haven't gotten around to making them yet.
      E xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx