Teaching others

Good afternoon!! I hope we all had a wonderful weekend! Yes I know it's Tuesday, but it was a long weekend here in Aus, so I had yesterday off and am still in the weekend spirit.

Do you remember how I made those cute little sewing kits for Christmas presents?


Well I think I said at the time, that I have never had a present so well received.  The girls seemed genuinely excited to try this new crafty endeavour.  However, neither of the girls had really done any sewing before, and asked begged suggested that I host a sewing day and they could learn how to make themselves a quilt.

Well, yesterday, I cleared some space in my sewing room and Emma and I got to stitching.

The trick, of course, being... I don't really know what I'm doing with paper piecing...  I've only ever made 1 thing, and that took me forever and I honestly have no idea if I was doing it right.  So there's a very good chance I have taught Emma completely the wrong things

I was thinking pillow cases (cushion sized pillow cases) as something fun, and bright and achievable.  Emma wants to make herself a quilt. Yay that I have brought another into the quilting fold (I feel like I'm leading them to the dark side or something when I say this - Come with me, little girl... You will loooove it... Pretty fabric for a pretty girl...*creepy grin and twiddling of witchy fingers )

Come closer to the fabric... Touch it, my pretty.
So yes, very exciting that they want to play fabric with me, but oh, my, have I set the expectations too high???  I mean a hand sewn hexagon quilt for your first ever foray into sewing... :-/

Emma was my first experiment with teaching quilting (Kerry was spending time with her hubby, so missed out. She's already made me book in another day for her to do the sewing too).  Em brought all her supplies and we went through some options.  Flowers. Lines. Random patchy sewy goodness... She chose the later.  We talked about how the whole process comes together, from cutting to stitching, basting, quilting and binding. I was pulling things out my WIP pile to show her what things looked like at various stages... I definitely overwhelmed her.

Then we went right back to the beginning. Cutting and basting a hexagon.


I chose to keep it simple and go with glue basting.  I know that basting-basting is cool, but I wanted her to be able to do this at home by herself, so simple and then if she wants to do fancy stuff later she can.

Next: How to sew a whipstitch.  I don't think I did as well explaining this step.  It's a bit confusing, and the only way to really get it, is to keep doing it and then, before you know it, you have pretty little invisible stitches.

Emma and I happily pottered away for the afternoon.  In her sewing kit I had given her big scissors for cutting her fabric, but to make sure she had the supplies she needed and didn't get bored when I sent her home, I used my rotary cutter to make some 5" squares and then started basting them while she sewed.  I figure once she is hooked on her project the cutting and basting won't be a problem, but if I made her spend an hour cutting out fabric and then basting cardboard, she may abandon this hobby before it's even started.

I didn't take any photos of the basted hexies, but this is the colour palette and Em is very excited about her rainbow quilt. 


 
So excited that she came in to work today and told me that she got home and kept right on stitching!  She is soooooo excited that she told me that she already knows what her plan is for her next quilt :-) I love it!! I will spread this quilting bug until everyone I know is infected :-P
 
Funny story... Emma was stitching her hexies together in front of her partner and he looked at them and said "it doesn't look like it'll be very comfortable. Do we really want a blanket made out of cardboard?" Hee hee hee. He thought we were going to sew all the cardboard in and make him sleep under it. I shouldn't laugh. But I think it's adorable.
 
Happy stitching everybody!
 
E xx
 
 
By the way!!  Did I ever tell you, that I won a prize for these sewing kits!!  I entered them in to a competition over at kelliotmagic and my name came out of the hat!!  I never win things!!  So to get this gorgeous bundle of Joel Dewberry makes my heart sing :-) There are some seriously gorgeous prints in this line.  And such yummy purples.  I have no idea what to make with it, but I don't want to put it away! Thanks, Kelly!!
 
Photo from  kelliotmagic
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Yay for sharing the quilting love! It sounds like your 'pupil' is loving every minute and doing brilliantly, you are obviously a good teacher, you should be proud! Oh and well done on the win, those fabrics are fab :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I don't think I'm going to start calling her my pupil. At least not until she's an internationally famous quilter and then I'll take all the credit :-)
      E xx

      Delete
  2. Well done pulling in another unsuspecting victim to our obsession! It's great to have friends to stitch with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a little guilty giving sewing kits as presents, because I knew I was secretly roping them in and they had no idea. I'm glad she enjoyed it though. I do love having real life stitchy people as well as internet stitchy people. :-)
      E xx

      Delete
  3. So cool Erin!!! The more quilters the better. :) Here's this in case you or Emma find it useful!

    http://sarahquilts.com/2013/07/23/hide-the-basting-stitches-method-for-epp-a-tutorial/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she's another young one! I love when there are other young quilters. It means I can continue to claim this is a young persons sport ;-).
      Thanks for the link. I'll share it with Em, and see if she wants to push herself with basting. I did only get her one glue stick, so she might need a back up :-)
      E xx

      Delete
  4. That's so awesome!! Congrats for hooking some new quilters. :D The best way to make sure she keeps at it is to keep having sew days. :D Social sewing is so much more fun, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I can safely say I will be hosting more. And I mentioned to a neighbour that I was having a sewing day and she admitted that she had started a quilt a few years ago and really wanted to try again, so I may have gotten a third, just by chance!
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha ha that is the funniest thing ever with her hubby thinking that he had to sleep under all that paper! Good to see that you are infecting others with quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I thought it was so darn cute, and such a boy thing! :-)
      E xx

      Delete
  7. It really was just a matter of time! I'm loving the bright stack you've got there! Can't wait to see what you make with it!
    L =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inevitable really. Be prepared that a sewing kit is likely to find it's way to you too, Loz.
      E xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm still working out how to make email reply's work, but I promise I read every one and will reply by email or on the blog.
E xx